Friday, November 15, 2013

What I Consider to be Vintage Lego

Hellego! In the Lego community, there are many debates on how old a Lego set should be until it is considered vintage/retro. I will be sharing my opinion on what I consider to be vintage Lego!


In my opinion, vintage Lego is any Lego created before the year 2000. Lego build for example in 2002, would only be about 11 years old. Also, around those years, Lego started to change a lot the way they designed sets. So in my opinion, any Lego set that was made in the 50's, 60's, 70's, 80's. 90's, basically any Lego made in the 20th century to me is vintage. This means that the first ever Lego Star Wars sets to me are vintage.

When talking about vintage Lego, we have to remember that the actual Lego brick has existed for 64 years. So vintage Lego will not be as old as for example a lamp considered vintage. A vintage lamp might have been made in the 1940's. This would make the lamp over 70 years old. The Lego brick was not done being perfected until 1958. This means that Lego sets started in the 60's. So vintage Lego will certainly not be as old as say a vintage lamp, couch, etc.

As I have already said before, I find that vintage Lego sets have a very particular design that I love. It's simple, but has a great look and playability features. It is hard for me to describe what I mean, but this style of build stopped towards the end of the 90's and at the start of the new millennium.

Some people consider Lego made after the year 2000 is considered vintage, depending certain aspects. Everybody has their own opinion, but I think that is not old enough because that means the set has about 10 years of age (depending the year)

In the end, I really think any Lego made before the 21st century is vintage. What do you consider vintage Lego? Leave a comment and share your thoughts!

2 comments:

  1. Vintage to me is from my childhood so sets from the late 80s and early 90s count. My line is probably closer to 1996.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a great way of defining vintage Lego! Thank you for you comment!

      Delete

You can type in your comment and then, beside "comment as", click on the arrow and select "anonymous" or "name/URL". For the last one, I suggest you just enter in your name. Also, there is a little bug. You have to double click on "post comment". Not just one click or if not it will not work.