Sunday, October 6, 2013

Lego Mindstorms EV3 Thoughts

Hellego! As you probably know, about a month ago, Lego released their brand new Mindstorms robots technology: EV3.

Image downloaded from http://www.lego.com/en-us/mindstorms/downloads/fun-stuff/ev3rstorm/

During that period of time after it came out, I have been spending a lot of time researching it, watching reviews, exploring the site, etc. After doing all that I thought it would be a good idea to share you my thoughts and impressions on the Lego Mindstorms EV3.

First off, let me just say that I love it! The design is great and you can tell they have upgraded their technology a whole lot! Right when you start there are five different robots you can build and program with instructions which I think is great. The only thing about this that disappoints me after seeing reviews, it gives you the instruction booklet for only one robot. The rest you have to download from the Mindstorms website which can be a hassle. I think for the price you pay for this set they could have at least included instruction manuals for all five robots.

All the different technological elements that come with EV3 are awesome! You can go so far into the programming feature it's incredible. There is a colour sensor, touch sensor, etc. Plus, with all the technic bricks you get (over 550), you have endless possibilities with this set! So whether you just know the basics in technology or you are a really advance programmer, anyone will love this! Although I do personally suggest that only older kids get it like 10+. That is the suggested age on the box and I highly recommend people follow it as it is not a set for younger kids.

Lego's Mindstorm website is also very cool! There is a whole community dedicated to Mindstorms, great stuff to download and I wanted to mention that they have a really cool online game. It's really well made and I recommend you go check it out. I've almost beaten the game.

I am a Lego club member so I get the Lego club magazine. In the issue of September and October 2013, there was a small Mindstorms booklet included which I thought was really cool. It gives you more in depth info about the whole EV3 technology.



Now the only reason I sadly probably will not be getting it soon is because of the price. It costs a total of 400$ which is a lot. Now don't get me wrong, this set is far from over priced. It's a great price for all the pieces you get and all the technology in it. But even if it's a good price, no matter what, 400$ is 400$ and it's still a lot of money.

I hope you guys enjoyed my thoughts about the new Lego Mindstorms EV3 robots! Please leave a comment and tell me YOUR thoughts about the EV3 robots. Don't forget to follow my blog if you are not already and please share this post. Have a great day and keep on building!

No comments:

Post a Comment

You can type in your comment and then, beside "comment as", click on the arrow and select "anonymous" or "name/URL". For the last one, I suggest you just enter in your name. Also, there is a little bug. You have to double click on "post comment". Not just one click or if not it will not work.